| || |
Here at SKIP we are starting a community snack program within our classrooms. There are many benefits to family style eating which enable opportunities for children to develop social, language, communication, and self-help skills in a small group setting. It also allows for equal serving sizes, nutritional snacks for all of our students, a safe environment for children with allergies and one less thing for families to contend with on a daily basis. Milk will still be available for 20 cents for parents to order. Water will be the alternative beverage available.
Each family is asked to provide snack twice a year-once during the fall/winter and once again in the winter/spring. Your childs teachers will provide a sign-up sheet for you to choose your week. Please note that you are not obligated to participate, but merely invited to. If you are unable to provide snack or prefer not to participate, please notify your classroom teacher so that she can make other arrangements. On the back, is a description of what bringing snack entails. We will also post this list on our school website for your convenience. Please bring items only listed on the snack list in order to keep our classrooms nut free.
Now that we have shared the benefits of having community snack, we are looking forward to your support and participation. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please share them with your classroom teacher or with me.
Early Childhood Coordinator
When you are scheduled to send in snack, please be sure to send in an ample supply that will provide for 15 children within the classroom for the week. Many parents find it easier to drop off snack items at school sometime the week before. Thank you for your contribution.
- 2-3 Boxes of different nutritional based snacks (tree-nut free). The list below provides popular options that are known to be tree-nut free (please double check the ingredient label. Please do not open, slice, wash or prepare foods in any way. That will be taken care of here at school. Please only send items from this list.
- Fresh Fruit (grapes, apples, small pears, watermelon, cantaloupe, bananas, clementines)
- Raisins (Dole, Shaws, Sunmaid) or Cranraisins
- 100% Natural Applesauce (preferably prepackaged in cups with spoons)
- Fresh vegetables (carrots or celery sticks)
- Ranch dressing (used as a dip for veggies)
- Cheese (especially string cheese or precut packaged cheeses)
- Yogurt (cups or Gogurts)
- Nabisco Wheat Thins
- Nabisco Barnums Animal Crackers (or Stop & Shop generic brand)
- Kelloggs Nutrigrain Bars (any)
- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish (plain, pretzel, cheddar)
- Quaker Rice Cakes (small, cheddar cheese)
- Honey Maid Graham Crackers
- Ritz Crackers (or Stop & Shop generic brand)
- Shaws or Utz Pretzels
- Cheerios (original only)
- Kix (original)
- Thomas Mini Bagels (plain, whole wheat)
- A large package of napkins
- 100-150 4 oz plastic/paper cups
To print out a copy of the snack list to bring to the store, click here.